Saturday 28 April 2012

The Expat Life.

Ok, whats next? Continuation of the basics, everyone always asks me if i like my assignment, and what do i miss, so i will sum it all up here:

Things i miss (from living in America):

1. Driving & my car! Expats are NOT allowed to drive. they drive on the wrong side of the road here (right side) and the bangladeshis do not follow traffic lights, lanes, signs, you name it. So it's too risky for expats to drive here.

2. Sandwiches! i'm pretty simple as a person, so my whole life, a sandwich with a side of chips for lunch every day made me really happy. not having this available here... has killed me. 

3. American movies and TV shows. you watch, i will feel like some alien when i move back to america. right now, i am surviving with satellite from India. they have 5 american TV channels with HBO. believe it or not, The Simpsons made it to india! =)

4. Walking around freely without everyone staring at you. depending where in bdesh you are, foreigners are rare and when they see one, they are just so amazed. sometimes they stop you and ask to take a picture with you. Once, I was with my friend who's a red-head, oh man, she brought in a huge crowd.


Things i will miss (from this expat assignment):

1. Having a driver. i know, i am a hypocrite. i have 2 drivers, one for day and one for night shift. Nur Alam and Alam Hossain. just my luck, they are both called 'Alam' for short. it's sorta nice to just sit back and relax. oh and of course, i will def miss my drivers. they are awesome. they like to teach me bengali whenever we sit in traffic.  

2. Having a full time maid. i am just going to admit it up front, having a maid has just spoiled me. now don't hate! it's super cheap to have one here and it's a cultural thing here for everyone to have one. even my maid has her own maid! anyway, she cleans, cooks and does all my grocery shopping. Her name is Gitila and she's really sweet.  

3. The expat vacation package. back in the US, i only had 2 weeks of vacation. now, i get 3x the vacation, plus all the week long holidays, it's 4x the amount! so, what comes with this is also missing all the traveling i get to do out here. how can anyone go back to 'normal' after this! ;)

4. their Masala Chai tea. black tea with milk and sugar and it's so good! this coming from a girl that didnt really drink tea back in america.

5. Bangladesh pineapples and mangos! i cant go back to kroger's pineapples after this. it's so different from the states. 


Obviously, there's a lot more to my lists, but those are the key ones i think. i'll save the rest for another blog post! 

miss you all. lil. 






1 comment:

  1. hahahah glad they have the simpsons over there! let me know if you need me to send you anything

    miss you!

    ReplyDelete