Saturday 14 September 2013

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Hi everyone! Just wanted to touch base with all of you, I'm still in Bangladesh and doing well! :) it's been a really busy year so far, so I apologize for not writing a post in so long!

So, my current update is that I am scheduled to be in my company's fall posting, yay, so it's finally the end of my assignment! You can tell I miss America, after close to 2.5 years, ahh! I did apply for Houston jobs, so I am planning to move back there, and taking back my town house!! Exactly when I will be moving back, TBD, depending on the new job and my current project completion date, I am estimating the end of fall / early winter- probably December. Will keep you all in the loop!

Also, I have a work trip next month back to the states, so I will be seeing some of you soon!


Ok, what should I talk about? How about some random experiences I have from out here? Sure.

* One time, driving towards the field on the highway, we see an elephant up ahead. that's right, an elephant! Just blocking the lane and the cars are slowly lining up. A 10 year bangladeshi boy was sitting on top, demanding cash from each driver before he allows his elephant to let us pass through. what a punk! haha. this boy, ladies and gentlemen, will probably grow up to be a businessman ;)

* Our gas plant & wellpads are surrounded by rice paddies. So, one day i see this man with like 50 ducks. All you see is this guy walking around a rice paddy and the entire flock of ducks follow him, maybe from listening from his whistling. Well, our construction team decided that if this guy can make a pack of wild ducks to follow him, we should hire this guy ;) because our contractors don't listen to us!

* In the first few months here, my Bangladeshi coworker asked me-"When will you be doubled?" I was so confused. That's when I realize he was talking about arranged marriages, which is the culture here, so he wanted to know when I decide to get arranged as well! not a bad idea, i should start collecting resumes! hah!

* When I went to Malaysia with my buddy Candace, we went to a temple that was surrounded by wild monkeys. Well, I was hungry and took out a granola bar, opening the wrapper. Looking over, a monkey swings by, watching me. Hmm, i put it back into my bag, kept walking. The monkey grabbed my bag and would not let go! So, imagine this asian girl pulling on the bag against a monkey! Hah, pretty funny actually. He reached in and grabbed that granola bar alright. Sigh, I decided I didn't like monkeys anymore :)

* One time I traveled outside Dhaka called Mymensingh. I guess there wasn't a lot of foreigners that go there because I got a lot of stares. Anyway, I was dressed down for sure, in my sweats and t-shirt, walking through a park when this university student girl came up to me with a dozen roses! :) she kept thanking me for visiting her country! super sweet and over the top! The rest of the students came out and they took a ton of pictures! I felt like a super star, hah, in sweats!

Ok, story time is over. I'll post again when I hear more about my move!

Bye! lil.








3 comments:

  1. HAHAHAH omg lill, this is so hilarious! do you have a pic of the boy on top of the elephant? did you guys pay to cross? hahaha businessman for sure when he grows up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yeah, or professional of extortion and racketeering. Although, I'm afraid these days that is the same as businessmen...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the money story! You didn't mention a monkey tried to take your water bottle as well. LOL good times!

    ReplyDelete